CURRENTLY AT CAPACITY
The Pre-Medical Student Volunteer Program is for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are planning to go on to medical school. During a 9 to 10 week rotation, volunteers get to observe their physician-mentors in a variety of professional situations. Rotations are offered 3 times a year—in the fall, spring and summer.
As a volunteer with the Pre-Medical Student program, you will:
- Attend weekly Wednesday meetings, 4–6 p.m.
- Observe your physician-mentor as they complete their duties
Pre-Med Student program volunteers must be at least 18 years old and you will need to:
- Complete at least 1 semester of college
- Show a minimum of 3.5 GPA
- Submit application
- Attend general volunteer orientation
- Receive initial and annual health evaluations
- Purchase volunteer smock/jacket ($30)
To participate in the volunteer program, you must:
- Schedule time with your physician-mentor according to their individual schedule, so you can shadow them
- Attend mandatory weekly meetings on Wednesdays, 4–6 p.m.
Please note: The Spring and Summer 2019 rotations are full. Information regarding applying for the Fall rotation will be available July 1, 2019.
All applicants are initially screened by phone. Those who meet the GPA and availability requirements must complete an additional application.
Applicants selected to participate in the program will be notified 2 weeks prior to the start of the rotation. Those who are not selected will be offered other volunteer opportunities in a clinical area in the medical center.
Priority will be given to applicants who have not already shadowed a physician.