The Pre-Medical Student Volunteer Program, under the leadership of Jason Cohen, MD, FACS, is for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are planning to go on to medical school. During a 9-to-10-week rotation, volunteers get to observe their physician-mentors in a variety of professional situations. Rotations are offered 3 times a year—in the fall, spring and summer.
As a volunteer with the Pre-Medical Student program, you will:
- Attend weekly Wednesday meetings, 4–6 p.m.
- Observe your physician-mentor as they complete their duties. This may include rounds in the hospital/clinic, as well as shadowing in the operating rooms.
Pre-Med Student program volunteers must be at least 18 years old and you will need to:
- Complete at least 1 semester of college
- Show a minimum of 3.5 GPA
- Submit application
- Attend general volunteer orientation
- Receive initial and annual health evaluations
- Purchase volunteer smock/jacket ($30)
- Reside within a 20-mile radius of Cedars-Sinai
To participate in the volunteer program, you must:
- Schedule time with your physician-mentor according to their individual schedule, so you can shadow them
- Attend mandatory weekly meetings on Wednesdays, 4–6 p.m.
Applications for summer and fall 2019 have now closed. Applications for spring 2020 will open at the beginning of November 2019.
All applicants must apply online. Applications will be screened for GPA, distance and availability requirements. Selected applicants will be invited for an in-person interview. Applicants selected to participate in the program will be notified 2 weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
Those who are not selected to interview for the program will be offered other volunteer opportunities in a clinical area in the medical center.
Priority will be given to applicants who have not already shadowed a physician.