The Pre-Medical Student Volunteer Program is for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are planning to attend medical school. Rotations are offered three times a year: fall, spring and summer.
Application for the fall 2022 rotation will be open from Aug. 1 until Aug. 4. Click “Appy Now” to submit your application during these dates. The fall rotation will run from Oct. 17 until Dec. 16.
The Pre-Med Student Volunteer Program, under the leadership of Jason Cohen, MD, is for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are planning to attend medical school. The program provides shadowing and mentorship, as well as a glimpse into what it means to be a physician today. The program offers students a chance to gauge and affirm their interest in medicine as a career. We are driven to be diverse and inclusive. Our goal is to provide opportunities for students from educationally or economically under-resourced communities, who have not previously shadowed healthcare providers.
What to Expect
We are thrilled to announce the return of in-person shadowing of physicians by pre-med volunteers at Cedars-Sinai. Over the 8- to 10-week program, pre-med volunteers will be assigned to a team of mentors within a specific specialty. Volunteers may shadow physicians on patient clinic visits, rounds, grand rounds, collaboration meetings and even into the operating room if they are assigned to a surgical specialty. The program includes weekly meetings with guest physicians to hear about their journeys into and through medicine.
- Must be 18 years old
- Must have completed at least one semester of college
- Show a minimum GPA of 3.3
- Submit an online application
- Participate in group interview if selected
- Pass a background check
- Attend online orientation
- Must be available to attend all sessions
- Have reliable transportation to commute to Cedars-Sinai
- Must be available to shadow mentors a minimum of six hours per week
- Must be available to attend weekly Wednesday meetings from 4–6 p.m.
- Log volunteer hours after each meeting and shadowing session
- Adhere to strict policies, guidelines and expectations regarding behavior, communication, confidentiality, privacy, shadowing, operating room protocols, and those set out by each related department
- Volunteer in one of our in-person volunteer positions for a minimum of 50 hours after shadowing and speaker series have concluded
How to Apply
The window to submit your Pre-Med Program application for fall 2022 is between Monday, Aug. 1, and Thursday, Aug. 4. Click “Apply Now” during these dates and you will be redirected to submit your application.
The Application Process
Applicants must complete the online application and submit supporting documentation of GPA. Candidates will be selected for an interview and up to 20 candidates will be selected to participate in the program. Successful participants must complete online orientation, background check, health evaluation and have flu and COVID-19 vaccinations. The Pre-Med Program is subject to change based on the status of the current COVID-19 pandemic, to protect the health and safety of our volunteers, patients and staff.