CURRENTLY AT CAPACITY
The Pre-Medical Student Volunteer Program, under the leadership of Jason Cohen, MD, FACS, is for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are planning to go on to medical school.
What to Expect
During a 9-to-10-week rotation, volunteers get to observe their physician mentors in a variety of professional situations—from seeing patients in their clinic to shadowing on rounds in the hospital to being in the operating room watching surgeries. Rotations are offered three times a year—in the spring, summer and fall. The program has weekly meetings where guest physician speakers will share their stories and journeys through medicine.
Pre-Med Student program volunteers must be at least 18 years old and you will need to:
- Complete at least 1 semester of college
- Show a minimum of 3.5 GPA
- Submit an online application
- Attend general volunteer orientation
- Receive initial and annual health evaluations
- Purchase a volunteer smock/jacket ($30)
- Reside within a 20-mile radius of Cedars-Sinai
- Adhere to the volunteer dress code
To participate in the volunteer program, you must:
- Attend mandatory weekly meetings on Wednesdays, 4–6 p.m.
- Schedule time with your physician-mentor according to their individual schedule, so you can shadow them
- Send e-journals to the medical advisor after each shadowing experience
How to Apply
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not able to accept any applications for Fall 2020. Updates will be posted to the website, so please check back here. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The Application Process
All applicants must apply online. Applications will be screened for GPA, distance and availability requirements. Selected applicants will be invited for an in-person interview. Applicants then selected to participate in the program will be notified 2 weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
Those who are not selected to interview for the program may be offered other volunteer opportunities in a clinical area in the medical center.
Priority will be given to applicants who have not already shadowed a physician.