Huntington Health Affiliation Marks Two Years of Progress
Huntington Health recently marked the two-year anniversary of its affiliation with Cedars-Sinai Health System. In this brief time, the relationship has brought important benefits to both organizations, their staffs and the patients they serve.
Huntington Health has added numerous highly respected and deeply rooted local physicians through the affiliation, enhancing and expanding local access to expert care and services in Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley. Among these: cancer; cardiac, vascular and thoracic surgery; obstetrical and gynecological care; pediatric subspecialty services; and otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat).
“We chose to affiliate with Cedars-Sinai for many reasons, including their commitment to grow care at a local level to build healthy, strong communities,” said Lori J. Morgan, MD, MBA, president and CEO of Huntington Health. “Under this guiding principle, we’ve come a long way in two short years.”
Thomas M. Priselac, president and CEO of Cedars-Sinai Health System, credits the commitment of teams at both organizations for the affiliation’s early achievements.
“When we welcomed Huntington Health into the Cedars-Sinai family in August 2021, we were excited about the many opportunities to collaborate, as well as the opportunity to share resources and expertise,” Priselac said. “It is very gratifying that we already have up-and-running collaborations and new information-technology platforms in place that are benefiting patients.”
The accomplishments of the affiliation include:
- Patient care/patient experience—Huntington Health launched CS-Link, a secure, electronic medical records system that enables patients to communicate with their doctors, schedule appointments and access their personal health information. A newly created software system—designed to enhance and simplify the billing/payment experience for patients—also has been implemented.
- Cancer care—Huntington Cancer Center, an affiliate of Cedars-Sinai Cancer, has seen tremendous growth in dedicated personnel and services. Additional physicians have joined Huntington Health to expand the already expert roster of skilled clinicians who provide comprehensive cancer care—from diagnosis through surgery and recovery. There are expanded capabilities for infusion for chemotherapy and direct access to Cedars-Sinai Cancer clinical trials.
- Cardiac, vascular and thoracic surgery—Expert surgeons have joined the Cardiac, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery Program at Huntington Health to offer a wide range of lifesaving and life-enhancing surgeries to local patients. New, innovative treatment options include robotic valve repair, coronary artery bypass grafting, aortic root and arch surgery, surgical treatment of arrhythmias and minimally invasive thoracic surgery, making this a state-of-the-art program in the San Gabriel Valley. Cedars-Sinai is pleased that cardiac surgeon Robbin Cohen, MD, has joined the faculty and serves as director of the Cardiac Surgery Program at Huntington Health and professor of Cardiac Surgery in the Department of Cardiac Surgery at Cedars-Sinai.
These surgeons enable San Gabriel Valley residents to access the full spectrum of coordinated care offered by the Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai. Cedars-Sinai is best in California and #2 in the U.S. for Cardiology, Heart & Vascular Surgery, according to U.S. News & World Report's "Best Hospitals 2023-24" rankings.
- Otolaryngology—Cedars-Sinai’s nationally recognized Otolaryngology Program is now available to adult and pediatric patients throughout the San Gabriel Valley who have conditions affecting the ear, nose and throat.
- OB-GYN—Fair Oaks Women’s Health, one of the most respected and longstanding obstetrical and gynecological practices in the San Gabriel Valley, joined Cedars-Sinai in May. With six specialists, it will provide patients access to an even greater network of specialized care.
- Pediatric care—Huntington Health’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and pediatric physicians now have access to Cedars-Sinai pediatric subspecialists via teleconsultations. The affiliation also enables direct transfers to Cedars-Sinai Guerin Children’s for the most complicated conditions. Outpatient pediatric care in endocrinology and cardiology is also now available at Huntington Health.
“We are so pleased with the progress this partnership has made over the past two years, and I’m confident that these strides point to continued success in the years ahead,” Priselac said.
Read more on the Cedars-Sinai Blog: Heart Disease | When to Get a Second Opinion