Share & Care
Feb 05, 2019
"Several times I’ve watched my dad beat up my mother. Now he is in jail. I sit in the bathroom alone a lot and cry. I often wish I could fly far away. Nowhere seems safe."
"My mom and dad drink a lot; they start fighting with one another and then seem to turn their anger onto me. When I’m at school I’m mad all the time and get in trouble no matter what I do. ... No one likes me."
"I told my [Share & Care] counselor that I missed my mom and brother; they are both in jail. The best part of school is going to Share & Care."
"My 6-year-old sister was shot and killed when she was playing in the front yard. I get scared sometimes and really miss her. It seems like things don’t get better around my house. Even after my sister was shot, no one was arrested and no one seems to care. This makes it hard to sleep at night, because I feel sad and lonely."
Cedars-Sinai Share & Care is a school-based, mental health early intervention program that uses art therapy to help children, teachers, families and other survivors cope with traumatic events and stressors.
How It Works
Share & Care addresses the needs of students, teachers and families affected by trauma and/or stressors through crisis intervention, consultation, training and prevention. Counselors work with staff at school sites within the Los Angeles area to identify children who are at-risk emotionally and academically. This specialized prevention and early intervention program offers a series of 12-week art therapy groups that focus on social-emotional learning through various curricula. These groups provide a supportive, therapeutic environment that aids in the healing process and enhances the child’s ability to concentrate and become happier and more successful. Teacher and parent education training is a large part of the Share & Care school-based program.
Good to Know
Share & Care began in
as the Psychological Trauma Center.
Therapists work in
from elementary through high schools.
In the 2017–18 school year, counselors worked with more than
in group therapy sessions.
In the 2017–18 school year, mental health professionals logged more than
contacts with students, parents and teachers.
Children's Environment at Home*
- 11% said they know someone incarcerated.
- 14% reported gangs in their neighborhood.
- 14% said they felt unsafe in their school.
Children's Behavior at School*
- 27% were identified as being behind academically.
- 42% exhibited disruptive classroom behavior.
- 35% had poor concentration.
Share & Care brings peace to children. When they are at peace, they are able to learn."
Elementary School Teacher
The Share & Care Effect
What Teachers Report*
- 74% of students showed an improvement in their self-esteem.
- 89% of students showed improvement in their behavior.
What Parents Report*
- 79% said they felt more confident in their ability to communicate more openly with their child.
- 74% felt more confident in their ability to address their child’s behavioral issues.
- 75% felt more confident in their ability to help improve their child’s self-esteem.
*All statistics are from the 2017-2018 school year.