Gewertz & Cohen Lab
Bruce Gewertz, MD, is surgeon-in-chief, chair of the Department of Surgery, vice dean of Academic Affairs and vice president of Interventional Services. He was educated at Pennsylvania State University and Jefferson Medical College in the combined BS-MD program.
Tara Cohen, PhD, is a human factors research scientist and assistant professor of surgery at Cedars-Sinai. In 2013, she received her bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Southern California. While completing her undergraduate work, Cohen also earned her private pilot's license. In 2017, she earned her doctorate in human factors from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida. Her research interests involve proactive approaches to patient safety through potential threat identification.
- Improving the Safety and Efficiency of Robotic Surgery
- Investigating Work-System Processes Using Simulation
- Improving the Efficiency of Operating Room Turnover
- Improving Patient Experience with Surgery
- Investigating Physician Resilience, Satisfaction and Success
- Exploring the Effects of Team Composition and Cohesion on Performance
- Modeling Safety Decisionmaking
- Cedars-Sinai Healthcare Innovation Network
Meet Our Team
Learn more about the scientists, faculty members, investigators and other healthcare professionals of the Gewertz and Cohen Laboratory, whose dedicated efforts lead to groundbreaking discoveries.
Cohen TN, Francis SE, Wiegmann DA, Shappell SA, Gewertz BL.
Am J Med Qual. 2018 Nov/Dec;33(6):614-622.
Barmparas G, Ley EJ, Martin MJ, Ko A, Harada M, Wiegmann DA, Catchpole KR, Gewertz BL.
Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2018 Jun;44(3):377-384.
Cohen TN, Cabrera JS, Litzinger TL, Captain KA, Fabian MA, Miles SG, Reeves ST, Shappell SA, Boquet AJ.
J Healthc Qual. 2018 Mar/Apr;40(2):89-96.