The Cedars-Sinai Cancer Translational Oncology Program (TOP) is a new and progressive model for clinical-translational research, both locally and nationally, that will bring the unique clinical strengths of Cedars Cancer to problems addressed in translational research efforts. Under the leadership of Stephen Pandol, MD, and Edwin Posadas, MD, the TOP is composed of physicians and scientists who have dedicated their careers to improving outcomes for cancer patients by combining the latest scientific discoveries with innovative and compassionate clinical care. The program partners with other areas of the Cancer Center to bring scientific discoveries to patients while helping our scientists to remain focused on the most urgent needs faced by cancer patients and their loved ones.
The key objectives and goals of the TOP are:
- Identification of clinically lethal cancers
- In many circumstances we have found that certain cancers can have less aggressive behavior. While cancer is a serious and important health condition, science is showing us that there are biological clues that certain cancers can be handled with less aggressive approaches that reduce the risk of harmful side effects from cancer therapy.
- Predictors of response to anticancer therapy
- With the growing number of options for treatment, cancer patients need to understand which options will work best and which will cause the most harm in order to optimize their choices. By combining clinical outcomes research with advancing biomarker studies, our program members work toward developing cancer care that is individualized and personalized.
- Development of nanotechnology-based diagnostics, therapeutics and theranostics in cancer
- Advances in engineering have produced a number of cutting-edge nanotechnology tools that can improve our ability to detect, diagnose and even visualize cancer. Other nanotechnologies can improve the way we utilize active and important anticancer drugs by homing them into tumor cells using nanocarriers, thereby increasing the drug's effect while dramatically reducing side effects.
For more information about the Translational Oncology Program, please send us a message.