If you've struggled to lose weight on your own, or have had bariatric surgery before, you may be a candidate for a minimally invasive and non-surgical weight loss procedure. Our gastroenterologists specialized in bariatric endoscopic procedures can help determine the best weight loss treatment for you.
Candidates for bariatric endoscopy procedures
You could qualify for an endoscopic (nonsurgical) bariatric procedure if you have:
- A body mass index (BMI) of 30 or above
- A BMI of 27 or above with obesity related comorbidities
- Previously had bariatric surgery but did not achieve your ideal weight loss
Types of minimally invasive weight loss procedures
Our interventional gastroenterologists perform four types of endoscopic bariatric procedures:
Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG)
A completely endoscopic procedure for patients who have not had any gastric surgeries in the past. An endoscope is advanced through the mouth and into the stomach, and endoscopic suturing is performed to shrink the size of the stomach permanently to help you lose weight.
Trans-oral-outlet reduction (TORe)
A minimally invasive endoscopic procedure that restores restriction for patients who have regained weight following gastric bypass surgery.
Endoscopic revision of sleeve gastrectomy
A minimally invasive endoscopic procedure that restores ideal anatomy for patients who have regained weight following laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy surgery.
An endoscopic procedure in which a balloon device is inflated in the stomach, reducing the size of the stomach and making you feel fuller for longer after eating.
All of our bariatric endoscopy procedures can be performed in an outpatient setting. To ensure that the procedure is a success, patients also need to make changes to their diet, exercise regularly and undergo weight loss counseling.
Benefits of bariatric endoscopy procedures
Studies have shown that bariatric endoscopy procedures can improve obesity related health complications. Depending on your health condition, losing weight following an endoscopic bariatric procedure can also improve your quality of life.
- Comprehensive care — Our team includes expert gastroenterologists board certified in obesity medicine, bariatric surgeons, advance practice nurse practitioners and physician assistants, obesity medicine specialists, and dieticians who are here to support you on your weight loss journey.
- Benefits beyond weight loss — Undergoing an endoscopic bariatric procedure could also lower your blood pressure, improve sleep apnea, reduce your risk of heart disease or stroke, and minimize your risk of Type 2 diabetes.
- Faster recovery time — All of the procedures are about an hour long and patients undergoing bariatric endoscopy procedures are expected to go home the same day.
- Long-term success — By committing to a healthier lifestyle and receiving the clinical weight loss support they need, our patients are able to make permanent changes to their diet, participate in regular exercise and improve their health overall.