Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Services
Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Services is a comprehensive, outpatient service designed to meet the special needs of patients with fibromyalgia, chronic pain and other rheumatoid-related diseases. Treatment is based on a wellness model that teaches patients behavioral management of their pain, fatigue and mood.
Before treatment begins, a thorough assessment and customized treatment plan is developed that may include individual and group treatment. Issues addressed in therapy may include:
- Exercise programs and fitness instruction;
- Fatigue and energy management for functional daily tasks
- Nutritional counseling and recommendations
- Pain management
- Sleep management
- Stress management and coping skills training
- Daily activity routine management
While research in fibromyalgia and chronic pain has reported that medication has been partially effective in relieving symptoms and improving quality of life, we have demonstrated that a multidisciplinary approach may improve daily functioning overall. A multifaceted approach from occupational therapy, physical therapy, and neuropsychology can teach individuals strategies to achieve optimum results. Our skilled therapists work with patients with the goal of improving their ability to function, increase endurance and strength and prepare them to be more productive in their daily lives.
The admission criteria to receive Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Services include individuals who are:
- Not currently using medication excessively for pain management (including narcotics)
- Not abusing alcohol or illicit substances
- Not displaying marked psychological disturbances or severe cognitive deficits
- Not endorsing any suicidal ideations or psychotic disturbance
- Motivated and willing to consistent participate in the interdisciplinary program and receptive to recommendations made by the team
To schedule an initial evaluation for the program, please have a physician complete a prescription and fax it to 310-423-9290 for physical therapy and occupational therapy services or 310-248-8710 for neuropsychology services. For further information, please call 310-423-9200 or 310-423-9722, respectively.