Meet Our Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Expert Team
A highly skilled team of professionals is dedicated to each patient's rehabilitation needs. This group is comprised of physiatrists, psychologists, neuropsychologists, rehabilitation nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, respiratory therapists, speech-language pathologists, therapeutic recreation specialists, social workers, case managers and dietitians. This interdisciplinary team works together to develop the most appropriate treatment plan for each patient. But, the most important team members are the patient, family, friends, caregivers and significant others.
- Physiatrists or rehabilitation physicians are medical doctors who work towards the goal of restoring function lost through injury, illness or disabling conditions. They are responsible for the medical management of the patient.
- Physical therapists evaluate and treat persons with a disease or injury contributing to pain or loss of strength, range of motion, balance or coordination. Their goal is to enable individuals to restore and maintain movement and increase functional mobility.
- Occupational therapists assess an individual's ability to perform daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, homemaking and community activities. They work with individuals to maximize independence with these tasks.
- Speech-language pathologists evaluate and treat people with speech, language, cognitive, communication and swallowing disorders.
- Neuropsychologists may test for cognitive problems associated with brain injury, stroke or other neurologic disorders and may also be involved with adjustment to disability. Treatment plans are designed to address the individual needs of each patient.
Other Participating Team Members
- Lorraine Kimura, PT
- Connie Shaffer, OTR/L
- Jeffrey Wertheimer, PhD
Many of the physicians who have medical staff privileges to practice medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center are independent physicians, and not employees or agents of the hospital. These independent physicians bill separately for their services. You should contact your physician to determine their status and billing practices.