Your doctor has recommended you for an X-ray of your spine. For this procedure, X-rays are taken of the neck, upper or lower back and tailbone to help to find problems associated with injuries (fractures and sports injuries), arthritis (painful swelling of the joints), osteoporosis (weakened bones) or other abnormalities that might be the causing pain.
Before Arriving for Your Procedure
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home and wear comfortable clothing.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- Although we do not anticipate any delay in your scheduled appointment, we recommend that you bring a book, magazine or music player to help pass any time you may have to wait.
During Your Procedure
- Depending on the site of the pain, you may be asked to stand, lie on the exam table or sit in a chair.
- The technologist will take multiple pictures of the painful area. You will be asked to move your arms and body in various ways so that images can be taken from different angles. The technologist may use sponges or sand bags to help hold your body still or to pull your shoulders down for a better view of the neck.
- The procedure takes between 30 and 45 minutes.
After Your Procedure
- Your study will be read by an imaging physician who specializes in the interpretation of x-ray scans. The results will be sent to your physician, usually within 48 hours.
- Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.