Your doctor has requested an X-ray of your chest. Chest X-rays are done to evaluate the heart and lungs. This procedure may be performed as part of a routine physical or to assess pneumonia, congestive heart failure, tuberculosis or other heart or lung conditions.
Our team of expert physicians, nurses and technologists is led by Peter Julien, MD, chief, Thoracic Imaging.
Before Arriving for Your Procedure
- You can print and fill out the Chest X-ray questionnaire on our Pre-Registration Questionnaire page before arriving to speed the registration process.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home and wear comfortable clothing.
- Although we do not anticipate any delay in your scheduled appointment, we recommend that you bring a book, magazine or music player to help pass any time you may have to wait.
During Your Procedure
- One to four images of the chest will be taken. For the first image, you will stand facing the chest unit, while the second image is taken from the side. In some cases, images of the chest may be taken as you lie on your side or back facing the chest unit.
- The procedure takes between 15 and 30 minutes.
After Your Procedure
- Your study will be read by an imaging physician who specializes in the interpretation of X-ray scans. The results will be sent to your physician, usually within 48 hours.
- Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.