Your doctor has requested an X-ray of your abdomen. The role of this procedure is to evaluate the kidneys, bladder, gas pattern in the intestines (bowels) and the lower outline of the liver. These X-rays can help to diagnose problems, including injuries that may be causing pain.
Our team of expert physicians, nurses and technologists is led by Richard Sukov, MD, FACR, chief, Gastrointestinal Radiology.
Before Arriving for Your Procedure
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home and wear comfortable clothing.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- Although we do not anticipate any delay in your scheduled appointment, we recommend that you bring a book, magazine or music player to help pass any time you may have to wait.
During Your Procedure
- The procedure is performed with you lying on the exam table and also standing with your arms at your sides.
- The technologist will position you correctly, locating the pelvic bones by touching your sides at the waist.
- The procedure takes between 15 and 30 minutes.
After Your Procedure
- Your study will be read by an imaging physician who specializes in the interpretation of X-ray scans. The results will be sent to your physician, usually within 48 hours.
- Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- To request copies of your pictures on a PC-compatible CD or a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.