Your doctor has requested photoplethysmography to determine if there is a problem with your circulation to your fingers or toes under certain conditions. The circulation to your fingers and toes will be measured before and after submersion in cold water.
At the Cedars-Sinai S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center, we have a specialized team of physicians and technologists who are experts in ultrasound technology.
Before The Exam
- There is no preparation for this exam and you may eat and drink. You may take your scheduled medications.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- Bring a magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time in case you have to wait.
- Leave valuables and jewelry at home.
During The Exam
- You will be lying on the exam table on your back with your hands at your sides. The technologist will apply a warm gel to your arms and a transducer or a small microphone will be used to examine your arteries.
- You will hear the sound of moving blood during the exam. Do not be alarmed; it is harmless. The exam will take approximately 60 minutes.
After The Exam
- Your study will be read by a physician who will send the results to your doctor. Your doctor, who ordered the study, will explain the findings to you.
- If you have problems related to your procedure, please call 310-423-8000. To request a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.