Your doctor has requested a thyroid ultrasound. The most common indication for an ultrasound of your neck is a palpable neck mass. When a mass is found in the neck, the origin may not be obvious from a clinical examination; therefore, an ultrasound study is necessary to determine the origin and make-up (solid or water-filled mass) of the neck mass.
At the Cedars-Sinai S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center, we have an expert team of physicians, nurses and technologists who are highly trained in ultrasound imaging.
Before Your Exam
- There is no preparation required for this exam.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Please consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass any time you have to wait.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
During Your Exam
- Upon arrival, the diagnostic medical sonographer will explain your procedure and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be asked to lie on the examination table with a pillow or bolster under your shoulders and your head extended back.
- A warm gel will be applied to your neck (the gel is similar to hair styling gel). The gel helps the sound waves to get from the machine to your body more easily.
- A transducer, a small device similar to a microphone, is placed over your neck. There is no pain involved; however, you may feel mild pressure from the transducer.
- Sound waves pass harmlessly through the skin from the transducer.
- A television monitor shows images of your neck as the probe converts the echoes to electrical signals. These moving images can be viewed immediately, recorded, and/or photographed for physician review. Occasionally, additional images may be needed following review by an imaging physician.
- Your procedure will take approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
After Your Exam
- There are no post-examination instructions.
- Your study will be read by the imaging physician and results sent to your physician, usually within 48 hours.
- Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
Directions and Parking
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.