Prostate or Transrectal Ultrasound
Your doctor has requested an ultrasound of your prostate gland. It is also called a transrectal ultrasound. Ultrasound is a painless procedure that uses sound waves to "see" inside your body. A prostate ultrasound can help diagnose medical conditions such as cancer, inflammation of the prostate gland or infertility. At the Cedars-Sinai S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center, we have an expert team of physicians, nurses and technologists who are highly trained in ultrasound imaging.
Before Your Exam
- For the prostate exam, a Fleet enema #1 should be taken two hours before your exam. This preparation can be purchased from your local pharmacy. The Fleet enema will make the procedure more comfortable for you.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Please consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help pass any time you may have to wait.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
During Your Exam
- Upon arrival, you will be asked to change into a hospital gown.
- Once in the examination room, the diagnostic medical sonographer will explain your exam and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be asked to lie on the table on your left side with your knees bent.
- The sonographer will carefully insert a lubricated transducer about the size of a finger into your rectum. You may feel a slight to moderate amount of discomfort during insertion.
- A lubrication gel will be used which helps sound waves move more readily from the transducer through your body.
- Pictures and measurements of the prostate will be taken.
- Once the images are obtained, the transducer will be removed, and you will be asked to wait while the images are reviewed by an imaging physician. The physician will make sure that the images contain all the necessary information to write a report. Occasionally, more images may be requested.
- The procedure will take approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Your approximate visit time will be 90 minutes.
After Your Exam
- The technologist will give you a towel to clean up with and direct you to the restroom, if necessary.
- Your study will be reviewed by an imaging physician and the results sent to your doctor. Your doctor will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- If you have problems related to your procedure, please call 310-423-8000.
- To request a copy of your images on a CD or film, or a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.
Directions and Parking
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.