Your doctor has ordered a FDG-PET scan. Those abbreviations stand for: fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG)-positron emission tomography (PET). The role of this procedure is to detect metabolically active malignant lesions including lung cancer, colorectal cancer, lymphoma, melanoma, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, brain cancer and multiple myeloma. FDG-PET scan may also be used to stage and monitor the response to therapy of malignant disease.
Before Your Exam
- Please do not eat or drink anything for 6 hours prior to your appointment time, except plain water and medication. Please do not eat carbohydrates or sugar (i.e. bread, pasta, potato, rice or ready made shakes) for 12 hours prior to your exam.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
During Your Exam
- Upon arrival, the technologist will explain your procedure and answer any questions you may have.
- You will receive an intravenous injection (in your vein) of a tracer dose of radioactive material.
- The level of radioactivity is extremely low and has no side effects.
- You will be asked to wait approximately one to two hours before the scan begins.
- Your scan will take approximately one hour.
- During that time you will be required to lie flat on your back, without moving.
- Using a special nuclear medicine scanner, pictures of your body will be obtained. The scanner does not produce any radiation; it simply detects and records the distribution of the radioactive material in your body.
After Your Exam
- There are no post-exam instructions.
- Your study will be reviewed by an imaging physician specialist and the results sent to your physician. Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- To request a copy of your report, call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.