Male Breast Imaging
Although breast cancer is more common in women, it can still occur in men. The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides discrete diagnostic options for men with suspected breast cancer. Male breast cancer is most common in men who are between 60 and 70 years old, although it can occur at any age.
Other risk factors include:
- Exposure to estrogen, such as for prostate cancer treatment
- Family history of breast cancer
- Klinefelter's syndrome (if a male has more than one X chromosome)
- Liver disease
- Radiation exposure to the chest
The earlier breast cancer is detected, the greater the chance treatment will be successful. If you notice any of the following, contact your doctor immediately:
- A lump in your breast
- Changes in the skin around your breast, such as redness, scaling or dimpling
- Redness or scaling in a nipple
- Any discharge from a nipple
Diagnosis of a lump or other changes in the breast is performed with a noninvasive mammogram of the breast tissue. If something is found on a mammogram, then an Ultrasound is usually performed to further analyze the finding.
To make an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
Before Arriving for Your Exam
- It is important that you do not wear deodorant, perfume or talcum powder on the day of your exam.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
- Although we do not anticipate any delay in your scheduled appointment, we recommend that you bring a book, magazine or music player to help pass the time, if you do have to wait.
- You will change into a patient gown, removing your clothes from the waist up.
During Your Exam
- Once you are in the exam room, pictures of each breast will be taken.
- Pictures are taken while applying pressure to your breast. Although the pressure may be uncomfortable, it is essential to obtain quality pictures.
- Your exam will take approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Upon completion of your exam, the technologist will review the X-ray films and you will be free to go home.
After Your Exam
- There are no restrictions placed on you after this procedure. You may eat or drive as normal.
- An imaging physician will review your study and the results will be sent to your doctor with a follow-up letter to you.
- An imaging physician may call you back for additional pictures. This is to ensure that any possible abnormality in your breast can be thoroughly evaluated.
- In conjunction with the additional imaging, an ultrasound (image below) may also be used to evaluate an abnormality.
- To request copies of your pictures on a PC and MAC compatible CD, or a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000 and follow the prompts for your selection.
If your exam is at the imaging location at the Medical Office Towers:
- Located at 8631 W. Third St., Suite 120 East
- For validated parking, please park in Cedars-Sinai lot P4.
- Southbound: Enter lot P4 from San Vicente Boulevard.
- Northbound: Take Third Street, turn north on Sherbourne and enter lot P4.
- After parking, exit lot P4 and walk south to Third Street.
- Turn right on Third Street and walk to the East Medical Office Tower (MOT).
The entrance to the MOT imaging suite is on the right side of the courtyard between the two black office towers. The suite is across the hall from Wells Fargo bank.
If your exam is at the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center:
If your exam is at 310 S. San Vicente:
- The Marcia Israel Mammography Center is on the northeast corner of San Vicente and Beverly Boulevard, diagonally across from the main Cedars-Sinai campus. The address is 310 S. San Vicente Blvd.
- Parking is available in a lot to the north of the building on San Vicente Boulevard. Parking is free with validation.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.