CT Scan of the Mastoid Bones
Before Arriving for Your Procedure
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home and wear comfortable clothing. Because this is a scan of the head, anything like dentures, false teeth or implants, earrings or hairpins can interfere with the scan and should be left at home.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- Although we do not anticipate any delay in your scheduled appointment, we recommend that you bring a book, a magazine or a music player to help pass any time you may have to wait.
- A radiology nurse or technologist will ask you a few questions regarding your medical history.
During Your Procedure
- While positioning you on the exam table, the technologist will explain your procedure and answer any questions you may have.
- If contrast dye is being used, it will be injected through your IV.
- During the injection, you may experience a warm sensation all over your body and a metal taste in your mouth. This is normal.
- If you experience any itching, sneezing, nasal congestion, scratchy throat or swelling of your face, please notify the technologist immediately.
- This procedure is done in two positions. For both positions, the head is positioned in a holder, and you will be asked to lie very still. For the first position, patients lie on their back with arms at the sides.
- For the second position, the patient lies on the stomach with the head resting on the chin.
- Only the head is covered by the scanner, and the scanner is open at the back and the front, allowing the patient to see out.
- This procedure usually takes approximately 30 minutes.
After Your Procedure
- There are no restrictions placed on you after this procedure. You may eat and drive as normal.
- If you received an injection of contrast dye, you should drink six to eight glasses of water to flush it out of your system.
- Your study will be read by an imaging physician who specializes in the interpretation of CT scans. The results will be sent to your physician, usually within 48 hours.
- Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- To request copies of your pictures on a PC-compatible CD, or of your report, please call 310-423-8000, option 2, or submit an online request.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.