Women's Hormone & Menopause Program
Women of all ages can have their health needs assessed and managed at the Women's Hormone and Menopause Program, a highly specialized clinic in the Women's Heart Center at the Smidt Heart Institute. Directed by a leader in women's health, Chrisandra Shufelt, MD, MS, NCMP, this clinic is designed to meet the specialized needs of women who have or are at higher risk for heart disease.
Women who also want to treat their menopause symptoms will find their answers here. The Women's Hormone and Menopause Program specializes in personalized menopause counseling, offering hormonal and non-hormonal options based on the latest scientific information. The clinic also provides risk assessments for young women who are considering the use of hormone contraceptives.
Dr. Shufelt works in conjunction with each woman's healthcare providers to complement her specialized treatment.
- High risk hormone counseling
- Personalized treatment for menopause symptoms (hormone and non-hormone options)
- Cardiac risk assessments and treatment
- Treatment for complex blood cholesterol disorders
- Treatment for resistant high blood pressure
- Comprehensive, research-based guidance for heart disease prevention including exercise and nutrition
- Thyroid and hormone evaluation
- Menopause management in the setting of breast cancer
- Bone health and hormone therapy assessments
- Protocols for routine women's health screening
Each woman who comes to the clinic completes a comprehensive health questionnaire that includes her heart risk factors as well as menopause symptoms, if applicable. Risk factors include a family history of heart disease, elevated blood pressure, obesity, smoking, pre-diabetes, high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure. This personalized approach enables the clinic to tailor a treatment plan that is unique to each woman.
To schedule an appointment with the Women's Hormone and Menopause Program please call 310-423-9660.