The Pulmonary Hypertension and Pulmonary Vascular Disease program at the Smidt Heart Institute is among the largest and most advanced treatment and research programs in the nation. We evaluate over 500 new patients a year and take pride in our collaboration with the referring physicians from both the community and out of state or even out of the country. Our multidisciplinary team offers a wide range of comprehensive and timely evaluation for a wide range of conditions leading to pulmonary hypertension and/or pulmonary vascular disease. Using the latest and most advanced diagnostic and imaging modalities, our teams are able to reach a rapid and accurate diagnosis, and offer the latest treatment options.
The Pulmonary Hypertension Program treats the following conditions:
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH): Idiopathic, heritable, induced by drugs and toxins, or associated with connective tissue disease, congenital heart disease, portal hypertension, HIV, etc.
- Pulmonary Hypertension Secondary to Left Heart Disease: systolic or diastolic dysfunction, valvular disease and cardiomyopathies
- Pulmonary Hypertension Secondary to Lung Disease: COPD, pulmonary fibrosis, interstitial lung disease
- Chronic Thrombo-Embolic Pulmonary Hypertension (CTEPH)
- Acute Pulmonary Embolism: cared for by the Pulmonary Embolism Response Team – PERT
Pulmonary Hypertension and Pulmonary Vascular Disease program provide a focus around two key areas:
Right Ventricle: Spearheading a strong effort in addressing and rapidly treating the multiple conditions and diseases affecting the right ventricle of the heart.
Tricuspid Regurgitation: Focusing on working to perfect the imaging of the tricuspid valve through leveraging key data obtained from patients.
We aim to make available new diagnostic, medical and surgical discoveries—offering approved and novel therapies still in the clinical research phase, including stem cell research, and participation in pharmaceutical industry-sponsored clinical trials. Learn more about the latest clinical trials being conducted by teams of medical researchers and doctors.
Cedars-Sinai offers a number of programs for graduate studies, continuing medical education, conferences, symposiums and other professional opportunities for learning, discovery and training.
Pulmonary Vascular Disease
Cedars-Sinai's renowned doctors use sophisticated tests to quickly recognize and treat pulmonary vascular disease conditions. Our team works with other specialists to develop a personalized care plan to lower your future risk.