Condition: Heart failure
Key Inclusion Criteria
- Advanced Heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF)
- Systolic blood pressure ≥90 mmHg
- Serum NT-proBNP ≥800 pg/mL OR BNP ≥250 pg/mL
Key Exclusion Criteria
- Currently taking Entresto
- History of hypersensitivity or intolerance to Entresto, an ACEI or ARB; known or suspected contraindications to the study drug
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) <20 mL/min/1.73 m2 at baseline
Full Study Name
EntrestoTM (LCZ696) in Advanced Heart Failure (LIFE Study) (IRB no. 49958)
This study focuses on patients who have an advanced stage of heart failure (a condition in which the heart has difficulty pumping blood to the rest of the body). The purpose of the study is to evaluate whether LCZ696 (sacubitril/valsartan, commercially available as Entresto), an approved drug for heart failure that combines the two drugs sacubitril and valsartan, improves symptoms and outcomes in patients with advanced heart failure compared to treatment with valsartan alone (standard treatment) over 24 weeks. Researchers also aim to learn more about the benefits and risks of sacubitril/valsartan in these patients.
Participants will be randomly assigned to one of two groups. Group 1 will receive sacubitril/valsartan and placebo (inactive substance); Group 2 will receive valsartan and placebo.