The Role of the Cedars-Sinai Bioethics Committee
The Cedars-Sinai Bioethics Committee is a standing committee of the Cedars-Sinai medical staff. Its membership, however, is multidisciplinary, drawing individuals from all elements of healthcare services within the organization, including, but not limited to, representatives from the faculty and voluntary medical staffs, nursing services, social services, administration, chaplaincy, various ancillary care staffs and faculty of the Center for Healthcare Ethics. In addition, the committee includes representatives from the lay public.
The function of the Bioethics Committee is threefold:
- Advise in the formulation of Medical Staff Rules and Regulations and Policy and Procedures documents pertaining to ethical considerations within Cedars-Sinai.
- Provide a forum for discussion of ethical considerations associated with the organization's clinical, educational and research mission.
- Foster awareness of ethical issues and concerns within the organization by assisting in the creation and implementation of educational and informational programs and activities.
In special instances, the Bioethics Committee may serve as a resource for the Clinical Ethics Consultation Service, which is the clinical service arm of the Center for Healthcare Ethics.
The Bioethics Committee is led by a chair who is appointed in accordance with Medical Staff Rules and Regulations. The director of the Center for Healthcare Ethics serves as the committee's permanent co-chair.
- Stuart G. Finder, PhD, Center for Healthcare Ethics (Co-Chair)*
- Michael Nurok, MBchB, PhD, Anesthesiology Critical Care (Chair)*
Center for Healthcare Ethics
- Virginia Bartlett, PhD*
- Andy Kondrat, PhD*
- Kenneth Leeds, MD*
- Caron Broidy
- Kirsten Buen, RN, MA
- Pamela Fenton, MD (retired, Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Peter B. Gruenberg, MD (retired, Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis)
- Irving Lebovics, DDS (emeritus, Dentistry Program)*
- Carol H. Hurvitz, MD (retired, Pediatrics/Hematology-Oncology)
- Jeffrey Pomerance, MD, MPH (retired, Neonatology)
- Tom Weinberger, MBA, MA*
- Mara Ayodele, MD, Neurology/Neurocritical Care
- Gary Bellack, MD, Otolaryngology
- Brandon Cohen, MD, IM/Dermatology
- Elizabeth Frame, MD, IM/Rheumatology
- Joel Geiderman, MD, Emergency Medicine
- Nestor Gonzalez, MD, Neurosurgery
- Garo Harmandayan, MD, Supportive Care Medicine
- Heithem Hassoun, MD, Vascular Surgery (Director, International Medicine)
- Michelle Kittleson, MD, PhD, IM/Cardiology
- Warren Lent, MD, Plastic Surgeon
- Monica Mita, MD, Medical Oncology
- Zab Mosenifar, MD, IM/Pulmonary and Critical Care*
- Tiffany Perry, MD, Neurosurgery
- Monika Saeedian, MD, IM/Endocrinology
- Pedro Sanchez, MD, Pediatrics/Genetics
- Harry Sax, MD, Surgery
- Natasha Schimmoeller, MD, MPH, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- B. Michelle Schweiger, MD, Pediatrics/Endocrinology
- Dan Stone, MD, General Internal Medicine
- Sam Torbati, MD, Emergency Medicine
- Nicole Van Groningen, MD, General Internal Medicine
- Michael Van Scoy-Mosher, MD, Hematology-Oncology
- Donna Bias, RN, Clinical Coordinator, Center for International Health
- Kristi Butenschoen, RN, MSN, NP, Interventional Radiology
- Heather Johnson, MSN, RN, Associate Director, Critical Care Services
- Ellen Mack, RNC, MN, Pediatrics and Internal Medicine Group*
- Robert Chernoff, PhD, Director, Health Psychology
- Eskedar Gobeze, RN (Lidia Toledo, RN, MSN), Patient Relations
- Michelle Hackley, RN, Esq., Risk Management*
- Lydia Limenes, RN, Case Management
- Samantha Stewart, LCSW, Supportive Care Medicine*
- Rabbi Jason Weiner, Senior Rabbi/Director, Spiritual Care*
*Indicates membership on Bioethics Committee Executive Committee
Have Questions or Need Help?
Call us or send a message to the Healthcare Ethics team. You can also have us call you back at your convenience.