Diagnosis & Treatments
Around the world, headache disorders are one of the leading causes of years lived with a disability. At the Cedars-Sinai Headache Clinic, we provide in-depth assessments to diagnose headaches and create customized treatment plans. We help you find relief from headache pain so you can participate in the life you love.
Conditions We Treat
- Chronic headaches: Headaches that occur more than 15 days per month for longer than three months
- Migraines: A type of primary headache, often causing one-sided head pain, light sensitivity and nausea
- Post-COVID headaches: Persistent headache pain that develops after recovering from COVID-19
- Primary headaches: Headache disorders that have no underlying cause, such as another illness or condition
- Refractory headaches: Migraine pain that doesn’t respond to traditional treatments
- Secondary headaches: Headache pain caused by an underlying condition
Evaluation and Diagnosis
There are more than 150 types of headaches, each with unique features. Our skilled headache specialist is experienced in diagnosing these different headaches. We conduct thorough, comprehensive medical assessments to determine what type of headache or migraine you’re experiencing. If needed, we order imaging tests to look for underlying causes.
Before you come for your first visit, we ask you to keep a headache diary or journal. At your first visit, our specialist reviews your medical history, previous imaging and your headache diary. They ask you in-depth questions, including:
- Do you have other symptoms, such as nausea or light sensitivity, along with headaches?
- How long do headaches last?
- What makes headaches worse?
- What part of your head hurts?
- What relieves headache pain?
- When do headaches start?
Our headache specialist uses evidenced-based guidelines to offer cutting-edge therapies for refractory headaches.
We collaborate closely with pain management, pain psychology, dentistry, neurosurgery, neuro-ophthalmology and ear, nose and throat specialists. Depending on your diagnosis, preferences and priorities, your headache treatment plan may include:
- Medications to prevent headaches, stop pain or lessen symptoms
- Botulinum toxin (Botox)
- Trigger point injections
- Nerve blocks
- Complementary therapies, such as physical therapy, myofascial release or acupuncture