Fertility Conditions We Treat
After experiencing the symptoms of a fertility condition, receiving a diagnosis can still feel worrisome. Rest assured that identifying the problem is a big first step toward getting the care you need.
At Cedars-Sinai Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center, we treat all fertility conditions. And our fertility specialists are experts in delivering a full range of treatment options.
Most Common Causes of Infertility
Infertility is a fertility condition that occurs in a man or woman when he or she is unable to conceive a baby. A number of other fertility conditions can lead to infertility:
- Endometriosis occurs when the tissue that lines the uterus, called the endometrium, grows out of the uterus and into the ovaries, fallopian tubes and other pelvic organs.
- Uterine fibroids are mostly noncancerous tumors that develop in the uterus.
- Irregular periods vary from month to month in length, blood loss and time between each period, often because of changes in or an imbalance of certain hormones.
- Hirsutism is a female reproductive hormone disorder that causes hair to grow on areas of the body where men typically grow hair, like the back, chest and face. This hair growth results from a presence of too many male hormones called androgens.
- Menopause (complicated) occurs when the ovaries produce less estrogen than they did during reproductive years, leading to symptoms that include headaches, hot flashes, painful sex and psychological problems.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a female reproductive hormone disorder that primarily affects the ovaries but can also affect the rest of the body. With PCOS, a woman's body doesn't make enough of the hormones needed to ovulate, or release an egg. The ovaries may then develop cysts that produce male hormones called androgens, which lead to problems with a woman's menstrual cycle.
- Primary ovarian insufficiency is a female reproductive hormone disorder that happens when the ovaries stop releasing eggs in women who are younger than 40 years old.
Why Choose Cedars-Sinai for Fertility Care?
If you have a fertility condition, you need a team that offers the latest and most effective treatments. At Cedars-Sinai, we offer:
- Expert specialists: Our board-certified reproductive endocrinologists have the specialized expertise needed to diagnose and treat all fertility conditions.
- Team approach: Our fertility specialists collaborate with Cedars-Sinai experts across multiple specialties:
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists: These doctors manage the care for high-risk, or complicated, pregnancies.
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgeons: These doctors perform low-risk surgical procedures through small incisions. These procedures treat noncancerous conditions in women's reproductive organs. Find out more about minimally invasive gynecologic surgery.
- Pain management specialists: These doctors diagnose and treat pain using medications and procedures. Learn more about our Pain Center.
- Radiation oncologists: These doctors use high doses of energy (radiation therapy) to treat cancer by destroying cancer cells and reducing tumors.
- Leading diagnosis: We offer the latest, most accurate diagnostic imaging technology in our Andrology/Infertility and Endocrine Laboratory. We also offer advanced imaging services in our S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center.