Pituitary Tumor and Disease Diagnosis & Treatment
Cedars-Sinai is home to nationally renowned doctors who deliver exceptional care for pituitary tumors and other pituitary diseases. You receive the care you need, even for a rare or complex problem.
Our team includes doctors who specialize in lab testing as well as surgical and nonsurgical treatments. We meet regularly to discuss test results and develop treatment plans specific to each patient's needs.
Highlights of our program include:
We diagnose many pituitary problems using lab tests, some of which are not widely available. We have expertise in a specialized test to check for adult growth hormone deficiency, providing an accurate diagnosis. Get more information about adult growth hormone deficiency.
Pituitary Tumor Care
Our doctors follow the latest care techniques. We remove most tumors through your nose (endoscopic endonasal approach) instead of making a large incision. We remove the tumor while lowering your risk of complications. Find out more about pituitary tumors.
Cedars-Sinai is home to researchers who have earned an international reputation for their contributions to pituitary disorder care. Our efforts include identifying biologic processes that give rise to pituitary disease and developing new pituitary tumor care methods. Read more about our research.
Diagnosing Pituitary Tumors and Pituitary Disease
We diagnose pituitary tumors and other disorders using tests, including:
- Hormone testing: Lab tests check for signs of hormone levels that are either too high or too low. We may also perform tests to assess whether your pituitary gland can stop or start producing certain hormones. Learn more about hormone testing.
- MRI: In many cases, this imaging test is necessary to find out more about the size or shape of a tumor. We use specialized techniques to ensure the best image quality.
Treatments for Pituitary Tumors and Pituitary Disease
Pituitary Disease Treatments
Treatment for pituitary diseases such as hypopituitarism and adult growth hormone deficiency often includes:
- Hormone replacement therapy: If you have low levels of certain hormones, taking hormone pills may help restore normal levels.
- Other medications: If you have high levels of hormones, we prescribe medications that help your body produce less.
Pituitary Tumor Treatments
If you have a pituitary tumor, your treatment may include:
- Surgery: We perform surgery to remove the tumor. Many people return to their everyday activities within two weeks. Learn more about pituitary surgery at Cedars-Sinai.
- Radiation therapy: If the tumor comes back after surgery, you may need radiation therapy. This treatment uses powerful beams of energy to destroy tumor cells.