Metabolic Bone Diseases
The Cedars-Sinai Metabolic Bone Diseases Program is a comprehensive program that provides personalized, leading-edge care for complex and rare bone diseases.
Our endocrinologist specializes in rare and difficult-to-treat bone disorders, bringing you a level of expertise not found elsewhere in the region.
What Are Metabolic Bone Diseases?
Metabolic bone diseases cause changes in your bones’ strength and structure. They can be associated with bone mineral abnormalities, such as phosphorus or calcium. Some disorders are related to abnormal proteins like collagens in the bone. Some of these disorders are genetic and some are a result of abnormal hormones such as parathyroid hormone, FGF23 or vitamin D.
We treat complex cases of common bone diseases, such as osteoporosis and osteopenia, and less common bone diseases such as:
- Calcium disorders, including hyperparathyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, pseudohypoparathyroidism, familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia, autosomal dominant hypocalcemia type 1, hyperparathyroidism-Jaw tumor syndrome
- Fibrous dysplasia/McCune Albright syndrome
- Paget’s disease of the bone
- Phosphorus abnormalities, including hypophosphatemic rickets: X-linked hypophosphatemia, autosomal dominant and recessive hypophosphatemias, hereditary hypophosphatemic rickets with hypercalciuria, tumor-induced osteomalacia and tumoral calcinosis
- Other genetic bone diseases, including osteogenesis imperfecta, hypophosphatasia and Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type I (MEN1)
Our Approach to Metabolic Bone Diseases
Highlights of our program include:
Comprehensive, convenient care
Our bone disorder endocrinologist focuses on complex and rare metabolic bone disorders that require multidisciplinary and comprehensive care.
Expert bone disease care requires collaborative treatment. At Cedars-Sinai, you have access to an entire team of specialists, including bone radiologists, orthopaedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, head and neck and endocrine surgeons, rehabilitation physicians, physical therapists and dietitians.
Experts in our bone disease program are active in clinical research, investigating new care approaches for metabolic bone diseases. We collaborate with bone disease specialists at Cedars-Sinai and at other medical centers nationally and internationally.
We bring you subspecialized and academic expertise, personalizing care plans to meet your needs.
Have Questions or Need a Second Opinion?
To make an appointment or refer a patient, call us or send a message to the Endocrinology care team. You can also have us call you back at your convenience.