The glands in the endocrine system play a vital role in helping our bodies stay balanced. When conditions or tumors on these glands affect that balance, the endocrine surgery experts at Cedars-Sinai can help.
What Is Endocrine Surgery?
At Cedars-Sinai, our surgical team treats disorders that affect the endocrine system, a collection of glands that secrete chemicals (hormones) into your blood. Hormones control many functions in the body, such as bone and tissue growth, reproduction and sexual function, sleep, mood and metabolism. We offer surgery to treat cancer, tumors and other disorders that affect parts of the endocrine system, including the:
- Thyroid gland, the butterfly-shaped gland in the neck that produces hormones to control the body's energy use, growth and development
- Parathyroid glands, four small glands in the neck that regulate the amount of calcium in the body
- Adrenal glands, two triangle-shaped glands, one above each kidney, that help the function of the body's immune system, energy use, blood pressure and stress response
- Neuroendocrine cells, cells that control other hormones in the body
Our Approach to Endocrine Surgery
At Cedars-Sinai, you can expect:
Our team provides expert care for all endocrine-related conditions, from common to complex. We have the training, education and experience to provide you with the specialized care you deserve.
We pride ourselves on our hands-on, specialized approach. Our surgeons perform tests such as ultrasounds to ensure accurate results. In addition, our specialists meet weekly to customize care for patients who have complex needs. At every step, our team is invested in your care.
Cedars-Sinai offers sophisticated operating rooms and surgical technology to enhance safety and outcomes and make your care more comfortable.
Rare and Complex Disorder Treatment
Our team treats rare and familial conditions (those that run in the family). These conditions include multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN) types 1 and 2 as well as neurofibromatosis.
Endocrine Surgery at Cedars-Sinai
Our team of experts has advanced training and skills in every aspect of endocrine care, from evaluating thyroid nodules to conducting surgery. Our fellowship-trained team is highly experienced in evaluating and treating complex conditions. We offer expert diagnosis and treatment, including:
- Thyroid surgery
- Parathyroid surgery
- Adrenal gland surgery
- Neuroendocrine tumor surgery
- Pituitary surgery
Team-Based Care for Endocrine Conditions
We work with many specialists to treat complex conditions and ensure you get the best care. Your care team may include:
- Endocrinologists, non-surgical hormone and gland experts
- Interventional radiologists, experts in minimally invasive, image-guided treatment
- Nephrologists, kidney specialists
- Cardiologists, heart care specialists
- Pathologists, specialists who analyze tissue samples to confirm a diagnosis
- Geneticists, experts who conduct genetic testing to see if conditions run in the family
New Advances in Thyroid Surgery
Thyroidectomies once meant an unavoidable, visible neck scar. Now, many people are eligible for endoscopic techniques that result in zero scarring or minimal, discreet scarring.
Our experts specialize in two methods of endoscopic thyroid surgery. We discuss your options with you to determine which approach is best:
- Scarless approach: Our surgeons make incisions on the inside of the lip and use thin, fiberoptic scopes to reach the thyroid.
- Breast approach: Using the same fiberoptic scopes, we insert tiny surgical cameras and tools through small incisions in the breast to access the thyroid.
Have Questions or Need Help?
If you need a diagnosis, treatment or second opinion, call the Endocrine Surgery care team. You can also have us call you back at your convenience.