Journey to Wellness
The Journey to Wellness Program was designed to help you get your health back after breast cancer treatment and to help you move on to the next phase of your life. Your wellness care plan, created especially for you, will help you cut the risks of your cancer coming back and help you take an active role in your health.
Once you're finished with treatment, we can help you carry on with your care. We bring a team together in the same place at the same time, so you can tend to body and spirit in one visit.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy quickens healing and helps range of motion after surgery. Also, physical therapists use their hands to loosen body tissue that grows together and scars. They teach you self-maintenance methods.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is a way of opening energy within the body with needles, and helps the body heal. This treatment can be combined with breast cancer treatment at every stage of your journey to wellness.
- Exercise: Regular exercise lowers the chance of cancer coming back. Your team includes an exercise physiologist, an expert in the link between your physical efforts, medical record and present health.
- Meditation and Relaxation: These can help you live more fully and with greater awareness. A meditation volunteer will help you focus on breathing and healing.
- Nutritionist: Registered dietitians, board-certified experts in oncology nutrition, teach and guide you so you can get stronger and healthier.
- Social worker: You may have some things to talk through after your treatment. Our oncology clinical social workers give you support through short-term psychotherapy, support your caregivers and connect you to many cancer support groups and programs.
- Nurse practitioner: Journey to Wellness is run by nurse practitioners. Our nurses will see that your follow-up care is handled — from doctor visits to finding any extra support you need. By the end of your first session, your nurse navigator will see that your exams are set up and that you know what you need to do next.