Medical Weight Loss
At the Cedars-Sinai Weight Loss Center, our clinicians are here for you during every phase of your weight loss journey. We offer a personalized approach to medical weight loss.
What Is Medical Weight Loss?
A medical weight loss program can help you lose weight safely and effectively:
- We offer treatments that suit your lifestyle, which may include nutrition, exercise and for some, medication or weight loss surgery.
- Your tailored plan may involve a combination of these options at different points throughout your care.
Candidates for Medical Weight Loss
We encourage you to call the Weight Loss Center if you think you may benefit from medical weight loss. There is no strict criteria to enroll in our program. Candidates for medical weight loss are not limited to, but can include:
- Patients with hypertension, Type 2 diabetes or high cholesterol
- Patients with a BMI greater than 27
- Someone who has previously had bariatric surgery
Our Approach to Medical Weight Loss
We understand that losing weight is not always a linear process and the focus should be on your health, not the number on the scale. We support you throughout the entirety of your weight loss journey. Unlike other weight loss programs, we address both the biological and environmental factors that may have contributed to weight gain or weight-related health problems.
Health Benefits of Weight Loss
For patients with obesity, losing just 5-10% of your body weight can improve:
- Cardiovascular health
- Metabolic health
- Quality of life
Medical Weight Loss for Patients with Lower BMIs
In some cases, patients may not meet the BMI criteria for obesity, which can make it more difficult to qualify for insurance coverage for bariatric surgery or other medical weight loss interventions. We will work with you to create a plan that addresses your specific health issues, such as needing to lose weight as part of your treatment for a heart condition. We also help treat patients with Type 2 diabetes and have developed a program that can reverse the disease.
What to Expect During Medical Weight Loss Treatment
- Our team customizes your treatment: We can help you make certain lifestyle changes and offer other medical interventions that can enable you to lose weight or manage a healthy weight.
- Comprehensive care: As a patient at the Cedars-Sinai Weight Loss Center, you are treated by highly trained doctors who specialize in medical weight management.
- All our specialists are in one place: We are unique in that everyone on your care team, including our specialists and nutritionists, work closely together at one location. This allows us to discuss your treatment in depth and provide the best care at every stage of your weight loss treatment.
- Long-term support: Our Medical Weight Management Clinic provides frequent visits over time to help patients better their health and support the development of healthy habits that lead to long-term weight loss.