Application & Admission
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is usually a requirement for those seeking board-certification as a chaplain. Some religious denominations require CPE as part of the ordination process, and many seminaries and divinity schools offer academic credit for units of CPE. At Cedars-Sinai, our CPE students are integrated into the Spiritual Care team, and valued for the fresh, diverse perspectives they bring.
If you wish to learn how to provide spiritual care to people in a hospital setting, CPE at Cedars-Sinai may be for you. While Cedars-Sinai is a Jewish hospital, we celebrate all faiths, beliefs and cultures—and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply to our multi-faith ACPE Certified CPE™ program.
To qualify for admission to Level I and Level II ACPE Certified CPE programs, you must meet these requirements:
- Faith group identification and affiliation
- Completed and signed application form, including references, essays and $30 application fee
- Admission interview
- Acceptance into a CPE program and payment of the nonrefundable deposit
- Compliance with all health and background checks and requirements
- Payment of tuition fees during the first week of the CPE program
- Completion of orientation and self-registration with ACPE
- Signature of ACPE use of clinical materials consent form
In addition to the above, these minimum criteria for each level must also be met.
- High school diploma or GED—bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred
- Final evaluations (student's and supervisor's) from any prior CPE, if applicable
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent—master’s degree or equivalent (completed or in progress) preferred
- Final evaluations (student's and supervisor's) from each prior CPE unit that show successful meeting of Level I outcomes
CPE Residency Program
To qualify for admission to CPE Residency Programs include, but are not limited to:
- A completed ACPE application accompanied by the application fee.
- An admissions interview with a qualified interviewer.
- Baccalaureate degree or its equivalent; master’s degree or equivalent (completed or in process) preferred.
- Faith group identification and affiliation; ordination by a religious/spiritual tradition or commission to function in spiritual care by an appropriate religious/spiritual authority as determined by ACPE is preferred.
- One unit of CPE (completed or in process) highly preferred.
- Student and educators’ final evaluations from any prior CPE demonstrating successful meeting of Level I outcomes.
- Acceptance into a CPE program and payment of the nonrefundable deposit.
- Compliance with all of the Cedars-Sinai health and background clearance requirements.
- Payment of tuition fees prior to the end of the first week of the program.
- Completion of orientation and self-registration with the ACPE.
Application Deadline: May 26, 2023
Certified Educator CPE
Certified Educator CPE training is available to qualified applicants as openings occur. The ACPE Certified Educator CPE Certification Process has two parts for admission:
- Part One: Application and acceptance to a local ACPE Accredited Center (Cedars-Sinai CPE Program Admission Requirements):
- A completed ACPE Application for Certified Educator Programs
- College graduation
- Graduate theological degree or equivalence
- Ordination or commissioning to function as a spiritual care provider by an appropriate religious/spiritual authority as determined by ACPE
- Endorsement/statement of accountability from an appropriate religious/spiritual authority as determined by ACPE
- Successful completion of a minimum of four units of ACPE CPE (Level I/Level II) and demonstration of spiritual care and conceptual competence as evidenced by the attainment/completion of Level I/Level II CPE outcomes
- An admissions interview at the local center
- Acceptance into Cedars-Sinai’s Certified Educator CPE Program
- Compliance with all of the Cedars-Sinai health and background clearance and orientation requirements
- Evaluation of the competencies for admission to a Certified Educator Program (see Admission Competencies Assessment Form)
- Part Two: Application and acceptance to become a Certified Educator Candidate with ACPE
- Please see the ACPE Certification website for Part Two of the requirements to be admitted to the ACPE Certification Process
Using the application materials that applicants have uploaded to their portfolio, the ACPE Certified Educator will conduct an initial assessment of each applicant’s suitability for admission and potential for becoming an educator. Acceptance into the local program is distinct from acceptance to the ACPE Certification Process.
When a center has a single candidate and the ACPE Certified Educator has determined that the applicant meets the competencies for admission to the ACPE Certification Process, they will arrange for part two of the process to take place.
How to Apply
After you review the admission requirements above, download and complete the CPE standard application. Next, mail your completed application and a nonrefundable application fee of $30 (personal check, money order or cashier's check made out to "Cedars-Sinai" with "CPE Program" written on the memo line) to:
Rev. Pamela Lazor
Cedars-Sinai Spiritual Care Department
8700 Beverly Blvd., Room 2510
Los Angeles, CA 90048
You can also email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received via email will be processed once the application fee is received. Applicants who are selected for the program will be contacted to schedule an on-site interview (the preferred method). Out-of-town applicants may have their interviews conducted by phone.
Have Questions or Need Help?
Call the Spiritual Care team Monday through Friday, 8 am - 5 pm PT, or send a message. You can also visit our offices, which are on the Plaza Level, between the North and South towers, next to the chapel.