Biomedical Education Pipeline Initiative
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Biomedical Education Pipeline Initiative has been canceled. All applicants have been notified and we hope to continue the program in 2021.
The Biomedical Education Pipeline Initiative (BEPI) is a paid research internship that provides undergraduate students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds with an opportunity to develop basic research skills as they consider postgraduate education and a career in healthcare.
- Principles of the research process (clinical, bench or translational research)
- Safety regulations for working in laboratory and research areas
- Appropriate use of protected health information
- Research study design and hypothesis development
- Data collection and analysis
- Scientific literature review process
- Methods for writing an abstract including end notes and source citing
- Research discussions and presentation skills (lab meetings, journal clubs)
- Opportunity to make an oral and poster presentation at the program's annual Poster Day symposium
In addition to research activities, lunchtime events are organized where research interns can hear from experts about career options in healthcare, network with other interns and participate in additional learning activities such as journal clubs.
Internships are paid, and the applicants must commit to approximately 30-40 hours per week.
- Diverse candidates from underrepresented background
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Pursuing a degree at a U.S. college or institution and eligible to work in the U.S
- Completed at least one year of biology or chemistry course
- Interest in pursuing graduate school, medical school or both
- Commit to the entire duration of the program (8 weeks, 30-40 hours per week). Start dates align with orientation on June 9, 2020.
- Have reliable transportation to commute to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
How to Apply
Late applications or applications missing documents will not be considered.
Applicants accepted to the summer program must attend a mandatory orientation on June 9, 2020.
Notification of Acceptance
Jun. 9-Aug. 7