Cedars-Sinai Diversity Program
As part of our Diversity Program, Cedars-Sinai encourages qualified medical students to apply for the Arthur I. Johnson, MD, Visiting Clerkship Scholarship, which provides support to five selected fourth-year students from groups that are underrepresented in the medical profession.
An Honorable Namesake
The late Arthur Johnson, MD was an Obstetrician and Gynecologist and the first African American Chief of Staff at Cedars-Sinai. He created mentoring programs for youth at public schools, designed an educational program to reduce breast cancer in underserved communities through early detection, served as Director of the L.A. Free Clinic for many years, and co-chaired the first Diversity Committee at Cedars-Sinai. Over the years he became the first physician in the hospital's history to hold all elected offices of the medical staff.
About the Diversity Program
The Diversity Program seeks to increase:
- Medical student awareness of opportunities in academic and community medicine at Cedars-Sinai
- Student exposure to the medical center and graduate medical leadership
- The number of students applying to the Cedars-Sinai training programs from historically underrepresented minority groups and from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds
How to Apply
Applying for the Arthur I. Johnson, MD, Visiting Clerkship Scholarship is a two-step process:
- Students must be accepted to a clinical rotation or clinical research elective between 7/29/2019 and 11/8/2019.*
- Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Completed Diversity Program Application (PDF)
- Student letter of intent as to his/her qualifications and desires for participating in the Diversity Program
- Letter of endorsement, including details on the student's qualifications for the program
Scholarship Selection and Stipend Award
All applications received by the due date will be reviewed by a committee of attendings and residents who select the most qualified candidates. All candidates will be notified of the decision two to three months prior to the start of their rotation. Selected students will receive their stipend in two installments: One-half paid before the start of the rotation and the second half paid before the rotation ends.